The SCW Conrad Carpio Education Scholarship was named in honor of Conrad Carpio, the father of Firm Partner Alex Carpio. Conrad was born in Cananea, Sonora Mexico. He came to the United States in 1970 and became a Legal Permanent Resident in 1986 through Amnesty. He is the father of 5 children. Conrad has been a roofer with Ralph Hays Rooming since 1975. After 44 years of roofing he retired, but after three months of retirement, he decided retirement was not for him and he is still working with Ralph Hays Roofing to this day.
Like many of the firm’s injured worker clients, Conrad is an immigrant who came to the United States for a better life. He worked hard to provide a better future for his family. Conrad also suffered work injuries as a roofer and each time he recovered and his employer accommodated him as his work ethic is like no other.
Snow, Carpio & Weekley, PLC decided to name their annual scholarship, “The Conrad Carpio Education Scholarship,” in honor of Conrad. Conrad, like many of the firm’s clients, are hardworking individuals who exemplify the American Dream and the injured workers the firm has represented for decades.
- Immigrant under the age of 25
- Entered the United States before age 16
- Have lived continuously in the country for at least five years
- Have not been convicted of a felony, a “significant” misdemeanor, or three other misdemeanors
- Applicant must be a DREAMer as specified above
- Completed application must be submitted online by April 15th, 2023. LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- Applicant must plan to attend college by fall semester 2023.
- Must have a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0.
- A transcript must be attached to application for consideration.
- Applicant must submit an un-opened copy of official transcripts if selected as a finalist.
- This scholarship is a one-time award worth $2,500 to be awarded the fall semester of 2023.
- Although not required, applicants are encouraged to submit recommendation letters and/or resumes to substantiate their application.
- Applicant will be required to demonstrate both their merit and their need for this scholarship.
VIDEO SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
To apply for the Conrad Carpio Education Scholarship, please record an original video of yourself answering the following prompts. You will be able to link to it in the application form below where indicated.
- What sets me apart.
- What inspires me.
- Why I’m pursuing my degree in _______.
- The submission must be unique and original to you, from your point of view. The video is not meant to have other people talk about your qualifications. However, other people may be in your video.
- The style of the video is up to you; whatever you feel best convinces us of your answer (artistic, narrated, documentary etc).
- Must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo. You will share the link with us when you fill out the application.
- Must include the hashtag #SCWDreamer in the actual video and in the description.
- Video must be more than 1 minute and less than 3 minutes in duration.
- The submission must not portray the United States in a derogatory manner.